AmeriCorps State and National provides funds to local and national organizations and agencies committed to using national service to address critical community needs.
The largest of AmeriCorps programs, AmeriCorps State and National provides funds to local and national organizations and agencies committed to using national service to address critical community needs in education, public safety, health and the environment.
Each of these organizations and agencies, in turn, use their AmeriCorps funding to recruit, place, and supervise AmeriCorps members.
After successful completion of their term of service, AmeriCorps members earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award that can be used to pay for college or graduate school at Title IV schools, or to repay qualified student loans. Fulltime AmeriCorps members also receive a modest living allowance, health care benefits, and child care assistance.
How to Apply
Your World. Your Chance to Make It Better
Where can you serve in AmeriCorps State and National?
- AmeriCorps members serve in AmeriCorps State and National projects in every state, U.S. territories, and on tribal reservations.
Eligibility for AmeriCorps State and National:
- AmeriCorps State and National programs are open to U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 17 and older. Members may serve full- or part-time over a period not to exceed 12 months.
What are the benefits?
- AmeriCorps members receive a modest living allowance, student-loan forbearance, health coverage, and child care for those who qualify. After successfully completing their term of service, they receive an AmeriCorps Education Award of up to $5,550. This award can be used to pay off qualified student loans or to finance college, graduate school, or vocational training at eligible institutions. Learn more about the benefits of AmeriCorps service.
In addition to these benefits, AmeriCorps members learn new skills, acquire leadership qualities and skills, and gain a sense of satisfaction from taking on responsibilities that directly affect peoples' lives.
Learn more about AmeriCorps State and National:
- Search for an AmeriCorps Opportunity that Interests You
- AmeriCorps Member Handbook: Getting Started
- Stories of Service
- Opportunities After Service
Contact us for more information:
Questions? Visit http://www.nationalservice.gov/questions/app/ask
- Not sure if AmeriCorps State and National is right for you? Use our interactive program selector to see which AmeriCorps programs best suit your interests and circumstances.